- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups lentils, cooked
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced or guacamole
- 1/3 cup black olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup sweet onions, diced
- Serve lentils over cooked brown rice. May use quick-cooking brown rice.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado (or guacamole), olives, onions, and tomato sauce or salsa. Tomato sauce, ranch dressing, and/or non-dairy sour cream also make good toppings. Sprinkle with garlic salt.
Directions for cooking lentils:
- In a pot, sauté one chopped onion in 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Add 2 cups of lentils, 5 cups of water, 1 tsp marjoram (can substitute 1/2 tsp oregano), 1/4 tsp thyme, and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring to a rapid boil then cover and simmer until lentils are done, about 45 minutes (most of the water would be absorbed, but if the lentils are older, they may require additional water and more time to cook).
- Discard the bay leaf and mix 1 tsp salt to the cooked lentils.